The UCLA Department of mathematics Undergraduate Merit Scholarship is awarded to an incoming freshman who has an exceptional background and promise in mathematics. The scholarship covers tuition, fees as well as room and board. It is anticipated that one new scholarship be awarded every year, starting in Fall 2010.
The award is renewable for four years, subject to the following requirements:
- Maintain satisfactory and timely academic progress towards their degree and remain in good academic standing.
- Maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in mathematics courses
- Declare a mathematics major upon admission and remain in the major
- Pass the basic exam by the end of their third year of studies
- To continue their scholarship for the fourth year, the applicants must apply and be accepted into the Departmental Scholars Program, which leads to a simultaneous Bachelors (BS) and Masters (MA) degrees.
Scholarship recipients follow a specialized advanced program of studies, including individual study with UCLA Mathematics professors.
Eligibility Requirements and application process
- 12th grader applying to UCLA for admission in Fall of 2018.
- Outstanding academic record and standardized test scores (TOEFL and SAT/ACT).
- Evidence of exceptional background and promise in mathematics. Such evidence may include one of the following:
- placing in the top 25% in the U.S.A. Mathematics Olympiad (USAMO) or comparable (International Mathematics Olympiad level) performance on a similar national competition, or
- advanced (upper-division college level) coursework, or
- original research work in mathematics.
- Applicant must also submit the official UCLA admissions application by its deadline http://www.admission.ucla.edu/infoprospective.htm .
- To apply, please fill out the Merit Scholarship application on Mathprograms.org by November 30, of the current year.
The direct link is: https://www.mathprograms.org/db/programs/575
Past/Present Scholarship Recipients:
|Years of Study||Name|