Are you civically engaged? Are you interested in mentoring youth serving their community? Are you looking for an exciting internship opportunity, while earning upper division credit?
The UCLA Center for Community Learning is (re)launching the Astin Civic Engagement Fellows program. Students selected will intern with Big Citizen Hub throughout winter and spring quarters, and will enroll in a 4-unit upper division independent study course each quarter.
Students selected to be Astin Fellows will receive a $2,000 scholarship.
FELLOWSHIP "TEAM LEADER" DUTIES
- Lead and learn from a dynamic team of middle or high school students through 7 months of service
- Develop curriculum and workshops for youth
- Learn the latest in youth development practices
- Become an integral part of a young person’s life
- Have sophomore, juniors, or Seniors standing
- Open to all majors
- Have at least a 3.0 GPA
- Ability to enroll in the required course: Civic Engagement 195CE in winter and spring quarters
- Ability to attend required professional development training (December 2,3,9 & 16)
- Ability to work with their teams 3 Saturdays a month from January to July
More About Big Citizen HUB
The mission of Big Citizen HUB is to build a community of Big Citizens, expanding the social capital of youth through curiosity, gratitude, team, and adventure.
Big Citizen HUB, is a little league for civic action; a space for young people to transform into Big Citizens and practice changing the world with peers in their middle school and high school groups. Youth will increase their civic knowledge, personal agency and understanding of the city around them.
HOW TO APPLY
All interested students should email Dr. Doug Barrera to be sent a link to the application page. Click the button below to email Dr. Barrera. The deadline to apply is November 3rd