Applications will only be considered when submitted via https://scripps.ucsd.edu/mpl/mpl-summer-internship-program.
Organization: UC San Diego Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Marine Physical Laboratory
Call for Summer Interns
Are you considering applying to grad school and interested in oceanography as a career path? Contemplating a career in scientific research and development?
The Marine Physical Laboratory, at UC San Diego’s world renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography, is currently seeking inquisitive, motivated undergraduate students with exceptional aptitude for quantitative science to apply for the 2019 MPL Summer Internship Program.
Undergraduate college students majoring in Oceanography, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Geology are encouraged to apply. This ten-week internship will offer qualified students the opportunity to work with some of the most notable scientists in the world and learn about marine science and technology while earning a modest salary.
UCSD is an equal opportunity employer, with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.
* Currently enrolled as 1st, 2nd or 3rd year undergraduate - and not in your senior year - at a college or university with a major applicable to research done at MPL
* A U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
* Considering a career in scientific research
* Available to start at MPL in La Jolla, California, in June 2019
* Available to work the duration of the internship, ten consecutive weeks from the start date, for 40 hours per week at a salary of $14/hr
* Not a former MPL summer intern
* OK with working a short distance from some of Southern California's best beaches and surf
The Marine Physical Laboratory (MPL) is an organized research unit of the University of California, San Diego (UCSD) and lab at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography.
Originally established as a Navy-orientated research laboratory in 1946, MPL has maintained a strong multidisciplinary research program consisting entirely of sponsored projects, with a large sponsorship from the Department of Defense (DOD) and the National Science Foundation (NSF).
Acoustics and Infrasound
Applied Ocean Sciences
Autonomous Ocean Platforms and Global Observing Systems
Internal Waves and Ocean Mixing
Marine Mammal Biology
Nonlinear and Surface Waves
Ocean Instrumentation and Technology
Population and Community Ecology
Upper Ocean and Submesoscale Processes
Air-Sea Interaction Research
Coastal Observatory Development
Observations of Waves and Currents Nearshore
Optical and Ancillary Measurements at High Latitudes in Support of the MODIS Ocean Validation Program
Reference Materials for Oceanic Carbon Dioxide Measurements
Time Reversal Mirror in the Ocean
Whole Sky Imager
HOW TO APPLY
* Visit https://scripps.ucsd.edu/mpl/mpl-summer-internship-program to complete the application online
* Applications will be accepted online through 4 p.m. Pacific time on January 18, 2019
* Decisions emailed to applicants by the end of April 2019
MPL Summer Internship Program: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/mpl/mpl-summer-internship-program